Sunday 3 August 2014

Tiramisu Pancakes

I am Italian, and come from a large Italian family who love to cook (and eat). Before becoming allergic to gluten and dairy and now being a vegan, I would eat a whole batch of my Nonna's tiramisu with a spoon in one sitting, no sweat. Now, it makes me feel sick to think about it, because I know how badly my body would react. And ever since becoming allergic and not being able to eat it, nothing has ever quite lived up to it. I've tried raw tiramisu cakes countless times and yet… they are delicious, but not the same.

UNTIL NOW.

Holy dooley these pancakes change everything. I am in love. My favourite things: coffee, cacao, coconut. All in one. Boom. Bingo. So easy too. But they seem so decadent, but in a sophisticated way.

I also changed around the recipe for the batter for these bad boys, so they were extra fluffay today (so fluffay, I'm going to die!)

Pictured: Tiramisu pancakes topped with Coyo yoghurt, homemade raw cacao sauce, banana, blend co superfood sprinkle and Loving Earth Raw Caramel Chocolate shavings 

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup buckwheat flour and 1/4 cup brown rice flour (the new addition was adding 1/4 cup brown rice flour in place of 1/4 cup buckwheat flour, and I liked it!) 
1 tsp baking powder/ soda 
1 tbsp maca powder (optional, or as much as you like) 
1 as ripe as possible mashed banana (I just started a new banana for decoration purposes, the more banana in the pancakes the better in my opinion) 
2 flax or chia eggs (2 tbsp flax/ chia to 6 tbsp water) (tip: it's best to make these at least half an hour before, or even the night before if possible) 
1/2 cup almond milk/ any dairy free milk 
1 tbsp sweetener, if desired (coconut sugar, agave, maple etc.) 
As many coffee granules of espresso powder as you please (depending on your tastes for coffee flavour) 

Method: 

Combine all dry ingredients (so in this case the flours, the baking powder, the maca powder) and mix mix mix. 

 Then add all wet ingredients  (time for the milk, "eggs", sweetener if you're using it) and combine with the dry. Mash your banana and add it to the mixture, in addition to the coffee, and don't stop til you've mixed it all up! 

Heat a pan with oil of choice (I use coconut oil) and cook pancakes one by one, until your stack is complete. Add the toppings that make your heart sing. Mine were coyo yoghurt, raw cacao sauce (recipe following), banana, blend co sprinkle and some Loving Earth caramel chocolate I grated up mmmmhmmm baby. 

Raw cacao sauce: 

Ingredients- equal parts cacao powder, coconut oil and sweetener (as much sauce as you want to make, I used 1tbsp of each for this recipe) 

Method: 

Melt the coconut oil (cold pressed) with the cacao powder and sweetener until runny and combined. It will harden and thicken, so pour it on top as you please. 

And enjoy babies! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,
    Thanks for the recipes!
    I wonder if you can help me to determine what went wrong when I tried it.
    The batter is thick and goopy, so that I can’t get it to cook all the way through without burning it.
    You have probably seen this before: when I try to flip it, it just comes to pieces in the pan. The result is a sticky mess.
    Do you have any idea what I might look at next time, to get something that’s a little closer to what I see in the picture here?
    Thanks!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Oh well that's no good at all :( might I suggest sticking to one type of flour next time? Did you change the types of flour around that I used in the recipe? Because that would change how the liquid is absorbed. My advice is if it gets too thick, try to add a bit more liquid, but it's best to stick to the types of flours I suggested for best results (and amounts too) xxx

      Delete