Tuesday 19 August 2014

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Pictured here: carrot cake pancakes, topped with coconut yoghurt, a cacao peanut butter sauce, banana, blend co superfood sprinkle and some raspberries! 

As you probably know, I love my carrot cake. A lot. It's just so delicious and such a fun way to get some veggies in, if you don't like them :)

I love carrot cake oatmeal and usual carrot cake on illegal levels, but carrot cake pancakes… unf. They make take the cake(s) on this one!

I add maca (from Organic Burst) because not only does it add an extra level of deliciousness to my meals, it gives me a good hit of energy in the morning to keep me going, and it has so many nutritional benefits, and balances out your hormones… how good is that? But it's optional, but I do recommend. You can barely taste it anyway, depending on how much you put in of course.

Go wild with the toppings, experiment with what you like best. I always try to mix it up, more fun that way.

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup buckwheat flour (this flour works best as the carrot is too moist for other flours I have tried) 
2 flax "eggs" (or chia eggs, 2 tbsp of flax to 6 tbsp of water, ideally left for as long as possible in the fridge) 
1 carrot, grated finely 
1 tsp of baking powder 
As much maca as you please (I use this one, and go crazy with it) 
1 ripe banana, mashed (you can leave some out for topping if you want, I used a whole one though) 
1/2 cup of plant based milk (I used almond milk) 
As much cinnamon and nutmeg as you want (I won't limit you here, go wild) 
1-2 dates, chopped into small pieces (optional again, I love it though) 

Method: 

Make your flax eggs first (or make overnight) and leave in the fridge for as long as possible. Then, grate your carrot finely and put it in a big bowl. Add your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, maca, spices) and mix til combined. After that, mash your banana and add it to the bowl with your other wet ingredients ("eggs", milk and your chopped dates) and mix until everything is combined.

Grease a non-stick pan with coconut oil, and then cook your pancakes one by one in your desired size/ thickness, until you have made the whole batter. You should flip after a minute or so, or when it starts to go golden on the bottom and bubbles form at the top.

Add yoghurt, a sauce, lots of yummy toppings, a scoop of banana ice cream, or even some icing would be cool! Don't hold back. Enjoy that stack and enjoy your day beautiful people!


1 comment:

  1. Trying these tomorrow morning! I lovee carrot cake oatmeal but these are the next level xx

    ReplyDelete