Saturday 14 June 2014

Soy tofu rice paper rolls


So… I love asian food. A lot. Along with Italian, it's probably one of my favourite cuisine styles. So fragrant and light and fresh and simple… AND EASY.

And I haven't made my own rice paper rolls or sushi in a longgggggggg time so I figured why not today? And I did (as you can see) and they were a success… and I am back in love with rice paper rolls.

Super easy, super good and super nourishing.

Ingredients (will make enough for leftovers for the next day too!… if they last):

- One block of tofu, pressed for about 1-2 hours before use
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Vegetables of choice: I used red capsicum, carrot, cucumber (all julienned)  and lettuce (shredded)
- Fresh mint
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1 packet of rice paper rolls

Optional (but for me not optional): Vegan sweet chilli sauce, or anything else you want to dip it in!

Okay so about 1 hour before I wanted to start making lunch I put the tofu on a cutting board, with a heavy plate on top, and allowed it to sit like that until I was ready for it.
In the meantime, you can chop your vegetables, mint and lettuce up and put it all on a plate ready to go.
When you are ready to cook the tofu, chop it into small slices. Add tofu to a pre-heated (with coconut oil) pan and allow to fry on one side (it will go slightly brown and crisp) and then turn. Add soy sauce at this point, and allow the other side to be fried, and then turn off heat. Place fried tofu on a plate and allow to cool.

Then, put your kettle on to boil. In a big deep bowl, place boiled water and then one by one, dip the rice paper rolls one at a time in until they begin to go soft, then place on a tea towel/ cutting board flat (don't let them curl up!) until you are done with all the rice paper sheets.

I recommend sitting down now! Place all your ingredients of choice in each wrapping and then wrap each one up like a little present of deliciousness! I tended to roll each one about half way, flip down the top and bottom ends, and then continue to wrap up tight.

I served mine with sweet chilli sauce, and my Watermelon Coconut Berry Mint frappe (recipe is in my index) ;) and it was pure bliss. With the smell of my banana bread baking… It was magic I tell you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, really wanna try this recipe, thanks for sharing :D

    http://jennoshealth.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete